Armory

Friday, April 25, 2008

Pets after 2.4..

I would like to discuss something, this something is a very big something for hunters. This something is "GROWL" for your pets.
Ever since patch 2.4 was released I have noticed our pets being gimped. What is happening is, the aggro has dropped to an all time low for pets and as a result they can't sustain aggro.
My hunter will pull aggro off of his pet in the 3rd shot, so now I have to play run and gun with the mobs, or add feign death in my shot rotation.
Originally only the boar was supposed to be hit/nerfed for its high threat gen. The boar would open with charge, growl, gore, and then attack, which would generate 4k in threat. It was almost impossible to pull aggro off of a boar. Blizz said this was a bug.. yeah a bug that has been in the game for most of its life, but suddenly they decide to fix this "issue", Which I highly doubt a hunter would really complain about that so called bug.
That being said, when they gimped the boar, all the pets got gimped and will cast growl after they attack first, which at that point if you open up your shoot rotation, your first shoot will hit right before growl can execute causing your aggro to be very close to the pets aggro and with in the next few shots you have just successfully pulled aggro off your pet. If they could make intimidation have a 20 sec cool down then no problems since this causes a good amount of threat, however this would only work out for a BM specced hunter, so that would not be too fair to the other specs.
What mind boggles me is that Blizz is aware of the pet/growl issue and is waiting for the next patch to fix this, however that doesn't help hunters now, so why not fix this as soon as possible and get the fix out instead of waiting for other bugs for everyone's class to be fixed and do a bigger patch and give us a wait time. I can understand that it needs testing, but this is a serious hunter issue its not like it is an issue with serpent sting or viper sting, which hunters can live with out for a short period. If there was a bug with prot warriors taunt ability not generating the proper threat, that would be fixed asap. so why not ours. I have had to have my pet play OT in instances before and now I can't because of aggro threat issues.
So in the end, I have released my boar since his threat is permanently gimped and picked up a Ravager named "Fugly". So now I say good bye to you "baconbits" you had your glory days in the hot sun.
/wave's goodbye
* walks down the sunset hills watching as his boar stand there with a confused look on his face wondering if he did something wrong,.. No it was not you old friend, it was the higher powers that be..

2 comments:

Rob Dejournett said...

I'm not sure what to say about this. Well, i've written on it here:
http://gibwow.blogspot.com/2008/04/242-hunter-changes.html

We now know that blizz completely nerfed the pig beyond oblivion. Why? Who knows. Maybe for gold farmers (apparently they dont realize that hunters at end game aren't the best farmers). But if this is true it undercuts the thought that they make money off goldfarmers because of the need for many accounts. Plus the fact that they already caused mass inflation to the economy thanks to the SSO dailies.

Anyway the latest from the PTR is that growl is unchanged except for a slight (undetectable) buff for hunters with extremely high AP (like T6 geared AP).

Sev said...

Yeah growl is going to be left alone, Although I did pick up a ravager who I am really starting to like, even though none of my pets can sustain aggro well..